The pictures that follow are from a weekend trip to Charyn Canyons, known to locals as Kazakhstan’s “Grand Canyon.” Charyn Canyons are located about four hours outside of Almaty. On the drive out, you get a sense of how vast and empty Kazakhstan is. I very much hoped we didn’t get a flat tire!
Once there, though, the canyons were spectacular. I’m told that they are brutally hot and crowded with tourists in the summer time, but mid-March was a great time to visit. In the picture above, notice the mountain range. That’s the Zhungar-Alatau range which marks the Sino-Kazakh border. Yes, China’s not that far away!
Once there, though, the canyons were spectacular. I’m told that they are brutally hot and crowded with tourists in the summer time, but mid-March was a great time to visit. In the picture above, notice the mountain range. That’s the Zhungar-Alatau range which marks the Sino-Kazakh border. Yes, China’s not that far away!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home